God bless America

Re: God bless America  

By: Tuco on Venerdì 22 Aprile 2022 16:34

Questa lettura interessante, la propongo mostly for HOBI, but, not just for him...

Che ne pensa del ridurre l'importanza della supremazia del dollaro da parte di Krugman?

April 15, 2022

Why the Dollar Dominates

By Paul Krugman

Is the U.S. dollar about to lose its special dominant role in the world financial system? People have been asking that question for my entire professional career. Seriously: I published my first paper on the subject in 1980.

A lot has changed in the world since I wrote that paper, notably the creation of the euro and the rise of China. Yet the answer remains the same: probably not. For different reasons — political fragmentation in Europe, autocratic caprice in China — neither the euro nor the yuan is a plausible alternative to the dollar.

Also, even if the dollar’s dominance erodes, it won’t matter very much.

What do we mean when we talk about dollar dominance? Economists traditionally assign three roles to money. It’s a medium of exchange: I don’t give economics lectures in payment for groceries; I get paid in dollars to lecture and use those dollars to buy food. It’s a store of value: I keep dollars in my wallet and my bank account. And it’s a “unit of account”: salaries are set in dollars, prices are listed in dollars, mortgage payments are specified in dollars.

Many currencies play these roles in domestic business. The dollar is special because it plays a disproportionate role in international business. It’s the medium of exchange among currencies: Someone who wants to convert Bolivian bolivianos to Malaysian ringgit normally sells the bolivianos for dollars, then uses the dollars to buy ringgit. It’s a global store of value: Many people around the world hold dollar bank accounts. And it’s an international unit of account: Many goods made outside the United States are priced in dollars; many international bonds promise repayment in dollars.

Where does this continuing dominance come from, given that the U.S. economy no longer has the commanding position it held for a couple of decades after World War II? The answer is that there are self-reinforcing feedback loops, in which people use dollars because other people use dollars.

In that old 1980 paper I focused on the size and thickness of markets. There are a lot more people wanting to exchange bolivianos and ringgit for dollars than there are people wanting to exchange bolivianos for ringgit, so it’s much easier and cheaper to make boliviano-ringgit transactions indirectly, using the dollar as a “vehicle,” than to try to do those transactions directly. But all those indirect transactions make dollar markets even bigger, reinforcing the currency’s advantage.

Gita Gopinath, the first deputy managing director of the International Monetary Fund, and Jeremy Stein, a professor of economics at Harvard, have described another feedback loop involving pricing. Because many goods are priced in dollars, dollar assets have relatively predictable purchasing power; this reinforces demand for these assets, which in turn makes it somewhat cheaper to borrow in dollars than in other currencies. And cheap dollar borrowing in turn gives businesses an incentive to limit their risks by pricing in dollars, again reinforcing the dollar’s advantage.

So what might dislodge the dollar from its special position? Not that long ago the euro seemed like a plausible alternative: Europe’s economy is huge, as are its financial markets. As a result, many people outside Europe hold euro assets and, when selling to Europe, set prices in euros. But one remaining U.S. advantage is the size of our bond market and the liquidity — the ease of buying or selling — that market provides.

Until its sovereign debt crisis in 2009, Europe seemed to have a comparably large bond market, since euro bonds issued by different governments seemed interchangeable and all paid about the same interest rate. Since then, however, fears of default have caused yields to diverge:

Fragmenting Europe.Credit…FRED

This means that there is no longer a euro bond market: There’s a German market, an Italian market and so on, none of them comparable in scale with America’s market.

What about China? China is a huge player in world trade, which you might think would make people want to hold a lot of yuan assets. But it is also an autocracy with a propensity for erratic policies — as evidenced by its current rejection of Western Covid vaccines and continuing adherence to an unsustainable strategy of disastrous lockdowns. Who wants to expose their wealth to a dictator’s whims?

And yes, the United States has to some extent weaponized the dollar against Vladimir Putin. But that’s not the kind of action that we can expect to become commonplace.

All in all, then, the dollar’s dominance still looks pretty secure — that is, unless America also ends up being run by an erratic autocrat, which I’m afraid looks like a real possibility in the not-too-distant future.

But here’s the thing: Even if I’m wrong, and the dollar does lose its dominance, it wouldn’t make that much difference. What, after all, does the United States gain from the dollar’s special role? I often read assertions that America’s ability to foist newly printed dollars on the rest of the world allows it to run persistent trade deficits. Folks, let me tell you about Australia:

Deficits down under.Credit…International Monetary Fund

The United States may be able to borrow slightly more cheaply, thanks to the dollar’s special role, and we get what amounts to a zero-interest loan from all the people holding dollar currency — mostly $100 bills — outside the country. But these are trivial advantages for a $24 trillion economy.

So is the dollar’s world dominance at risk? Probably not. And the truth is, it really doesn’t matter.

SLAVA UKRAINII !

Last edited by: Tuco on Venerdì 22 Aprile 2022 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

By: XTOL on Mercoledì 20 Aprile 2022 16:07

diciamola tutta: pd anti è un servo sciocco, un verme in forma simil-umana

By: antitrader on Mercoledì 20 Aprile 2022 15:53

Quanto sei scemo invece non e' per niente curioso, e' piu' che evidente.

Quello di Assange e' un reato, ha trafugato dei documenti, e viene processato con regolare

processo con possibile e probabile condanna.

Navalny e i giornalisti del tuo amico vengono polonizzati, mandati in siberia e nei manicomi

criminali con un semplice ordine di putin.

Te sei piu' scemo di quell'altro, anche te rovinato e devastato dai cazzari del web.

Capra !

P.S. Te e quell'altro non siete capaci nemmeno di un pensiero elementare senza interposto cazzaro

By: Ganzo il Magnifico on Mercoledì 20 Aprile 2022 14:57

Curioso che chi condanna i crimini di guerra degli USA faccia questa fine...

Ok del Tribunale all'estradizione di Julian Assange negli Usa

L'attivista rischia una pesantissima condanna per aver contribuito a diffondere documenti riservati su crimini di guerra commessi dalle forze armate statunitensi in Iraq e Afghanistan.

Slava Cocaïnii!

By: Ganzo il Magnifico on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:54

Che le Presidenze USA, quale più quale meno, siano nelle mani del complesso militare - industriale è risaputo

O pensi che abbiano fatto le guerre in Vietnam perché volevano bene ai vietnamiti?

Slava Cocaïnii!

By: gianlini on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:50

Ci si mette 10 secondi a trovarlo 

Ovviamente sono gli amici repubblicani di Bannon a chiederlo

Dozens of GOP lawmakers are again asking Biden to take cognitive test

Republicans have asked for Joe Biden to be tested the same way Donald Trump was

Nearly 40 Republicans are demanding that Joe Biden receive cognitive testing and have his results shared with the public, writing in a letter to the president “we are worried about your cognitive and mental abilities”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/gop-biden-cognitive-test-b2011826.html

Dozens of Republican lawmakers are once again calling for President Biden to take a cognitive test, urging him to “follow the example set by former President Trump.” 

The 38 Republicans, led by Trump’s former White House doctor, Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Md.), sent a letter to the president on Tuesday “express[ing] concern with your current cognitive state” and asking the 79-year-old to take the test.

“We believe that, regardless of gender, age, or political party, all Presidents should follow the example set by former President [Donald] Trump to document and demonstrate sound mental abilities,” they wrote.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/09/38-republicans-call-for-joe-biden-to-take-cognitive-test/

Last edited by: gianlini on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

By: Ganzo il Magnifico on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:50

Comunque quel video non è la prima volta per Biden.

ce ne sono altri dove Biden non riesce a capire dove dovrebbe andare, confonde gli ucraini con gli iraniani, prostitution con prosecution, o invece di salutare i marines ripete dietro teleprompter nell'orecchio: "Salute ai Marines". Etc. etc.

Se non sbaglio, devo ritrovare l'articolo, una trentina di senatori hanno firmato una lettera chiedendo una visita medica per le funzioni cognitive di Biden. Gianlini, te che sei così informato, confermi? O c'è Bannon anche dietro di loro (a proposito di paranoia).

Detto questo, non credo che un cambio di presidenza significhgerebbe un cambio di politica estera americana. Visto che quella politica non è certo Biden a farla.

Gianlini> quale paranoia

Quella che io sia l'inviato di Bannon o di qualche altra forza demoniaca mandato per convincerti di qualcosa... ;-)

Slava Cocaïnii!

By: gianlini on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:42

Gianlini, non è che hai un livello di paranoia un po' troppo over the limits? ;-) 

-----------

Ma quale paranoia?

Ovviamente mi sono allarmato anche io quando ho letto la notizia. Poi sono andato a vedermi il filmato, e mi è passato ogni tipo di timore.

Anche il Corriere deve vendere pubblicità e sicuramente quella notizia l'hanno clickata in milioni.

Peraltro mi sembra di averlo già detto più volte, dei giornali e dei giornalisti ho stima pari a zero.

Il Corriere è vicino a confindustria, mi sembra, e il fatto di pagare di più il gas, agli industriali ovviamente non fa piacere. Non mi stupisce quindi, che non siano felicissimi di Biden in questo momento. 

Last edited by: gianlini on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:46, edited 2 times in total.

By: hobi50 on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:39

Quando c'era Trump presidente ho usato spesso l'espressione " bestia nazionalista " riferendomi agli  Usa.

Ciò mi veniva evocato dai raduni di tutti quei bovari americani coi loro cappellini rossi,la bandiera "star and stripes" in mano ,che gridavano  "America great again ".

L'assalto a Capitol Hill è stato qualcosa di demenziale nel solco di questa isteria nazionalista di basso livello.

Sentendo la televisione russa e la Chiesa Ortodossa che parla di satanismo ,mi sembra trattarsi dello stesso clima di "bestia nazionalista".

Mitterand disse : Nationalism c'est la guerre !

Sante parole ma ,per fortuna ,in Europa  non c'è nulla di tutto questo.

Ecco perchè ha un senso che l'Europa si attrezzi a condurre una politica europea autonoma rispetto agli americani.

Quanto ai cinesi purtroppo ,anche lì,cova un nazionalismo millenario.

Attualmente l'unico argine è rappresentato dal Partito  Comunista Cinese che ,nella sua classe dirigente attuale, è ancora internazionalista,pacifista,antiimperialista.

Ma non c'è la garanzia assoluta che ciò perduri  anche in  futuro.

Hobi

Last edited by: hobi50 on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

By: Ganzo il Magnifico on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:36

Quel video l'ho trovato sul Corriere della Sera. Bannon manovra anche loro?

Biden: si volta per stringere una mano, ma vicino a lui non c'è nessuno (Corriere della Sera)

Gianlini, non è che hai un livello di paranoia un po' troppo over the limits? ;-) 

Slava Cocaïnii!

By: gianlini on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:28

Infatti, lo so benissimo.,

Ti manda questi video in cui in un paio di fotogrammi estratti dal resto vuol convincere il mondo, tramite anche te, che Biden è demente.

By: Ganzo il Magnifico on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:22

Lo hai detto te che Bannon mi telefona per darmi le direttive, non io. Probabilmente Bannon mi dice di non divulgare i dettagli.

Slava Cocaïnii!

Last edited by: Ganzo il Magnifico on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

By: gianlini on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:20

Non ho dubbi a crederlo!

Si sa che a Linkoeping scarseggiano le occasioni di svago. 

By: Ganzo il Magnifico on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:18

"forse dovrei iscrivermi a qualcuna delle newsletter "

A me Bannon telefona per dirmelo.

Slava Cocaïnii!

By: gianlini on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:16

infatti, io penso che tu lo sappia da Bannon

Vorrei però saperlo anche io. E penso che interessi anche agli altri del forum.

A me Bannon non scrive (forse dovrei iscrivermi a qualcuna delle newsletter a cui sei iscritto tu).

Last edited by: gianlini on Sabato 16 Aprile 2022 11:16, edited 1 time in total.